About Me

My photo
Funky, colourful person. Mother to my 3 year old daughter, love going out and having a drink with friends and dancing to music of all sorts, living a very stressful life which is unlikely to change any time soon, doing the best i can with what i have. Im a very loyal person and am well known for chatting the hind legs off a donkey as well as being a great listener. If you need to offload your troubles then im your woman. Tell me anything it will never go any further. Im a giver and a sharer and care a lot for people and im open minded to the point if im not careful my brain will fall out of my head.... I make spelling mistakes, but im busy, forgive me.... Everything happens for a reason, we just don't always know what that reason is..

Tuesday 13 September 2011

2nd Year of uni is lurking round the corner....

I have just dropped my daughter at her pre-school and am home already, while my little 3yr old plays all day i need to start getting focused on the fact that i am about to start my 2nd yr of uni and also 1st year of my mental health branch programme. It is a scary thought, but i am looking forward to it immensely.  I am going to be in a different class to all my pals that i was with for the 1st yr due to them all doing either child or adult nursing, so need to find me some new pals for the duration of this course, most of them know each other, i was just unlucky when they were putting everyone into classes on that very 1st induction day and somehow ended up being the only MH student in my class. 


I start back on the 3rd October and i am going straight into placement this time for 6 weeks, unlike last year where we had some theory first; my placement is on an early onset of dementia ward i am really looking forward to this and rang them up a week ago, way too early even the manager was surprised, but i thought no harm in getting some info. The hours are 7:30am till 3:30pm or 12:30pm till 8:30pm.  That's not so bad, although its going to be a bugger getting there that early from where i live, basically a bus the a tube train and then a bus. But i tend to use the bus time to read my nursing books so i guess not so bad. I will miss my sleep though, never been an early to bed kind of gal...


The manager seemed nice but said there was only 9 patients left on the ward as yet again like my very 1st placement which was also mental health it was closing in January due to the cuts.. I can't believe this, so many vital services are being cut, will i even have a job at the end of all this, assuming i get through the next 2 yrs! So there is every possibility that when i go to start there wont be enough patients to get enough of a valuable learning experience to pass the placement or they may even give me a different, the worst thing is if they keep me there and there are students from other years there too, we will essentially be fighting to all get what we need out of it with limited learning options. I wanted a dementia placement and now i can foresee it becoming one i might end up hating but for all the wrong reasons. 


Anyway, so i have wasted a lot of the time i have had off, i mean what student wouldn't, now time is creeping up on me and i regret i wasted quite so much of it, but to be fair i have had a crazy 3yr old around me most of the time and then had to go through quite a stressful breakup and things are still rather stressful now, but then when are they not in my life...
So anyway i have a ton of books here all related to mental health nursing and i am reading one at the moment called 'Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing' it is brilliant, the only type of book like this out there, can't believe i have had it sitting on my shelf for a couple of months after getting it out of the student library and i have only just started looking at it. 





So i am working my through this book slowly but surely and have got lots of maths stuff i have printed to try and get myself up to speed, give me the stress of writing a 3000 word essay any day over the stress of trying to learn maths, wish i had concentrated more in school, if only i could turn back the time, although i def wouldn't want the spotty skin or the having to share a bedroom with my sister again, but the maths lessons, yes, i would happily redo them. Sigh.


This year i have 3 different placements, as i said the 1st being in a dementia war, the 2nd is also for 6wks and that one is in a rehab place, and i have a 3rd placement for 8wks but i do not have information for this one yet, nervous on where it will be, am praying it is within relatively easy travelling distance first and then i have a nice mentor second, these 2 things can really ruin an experience of working somewhere. So fingers crossed. It does not feel like we have much theory either this year or that might be as we have its all bunched up together instead of spread out over the year.
Also im sure the teachers i will have this year will be different to last yr, hopefully they will be equally as nice, i think our group struck lucky on who we got last year so lets hope my luck follows through and i get some nice ones, as from my fellow student friends in other classes i have heard some truly horrific stuff...This scares me slightly..




Right i spose that was enough of an update for now on the work front. Time to crack on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment